Friday, September 17, 2010

Where are the builders?

'Mummy when are the builders coming' - this is a question my daughter has been asking a lot lately. And depending on her mood she is either really excited about having new rooms built and can't wait to show her friends, or on other days she gets really upset about the idea - 'I love our house the way it is, I don't want it to change'.

As any of you that have renovated, built or moved house would know it is stressful. Adding kids into the mix just makes it even harder. My daughter also is sensitive to change, so it is going to be interesting to see how she reacts when the builders do arrive in a few weeks, especially as we will be living in the house during the whole seven or eight month build.

I am trying to get her excited explaining how she is going to get a new room that she can help decorate. She loves to draw and paint. With my two year old boy we have bought him a Bob the Builder set which he loves. Any other tips on how to help them and me to get through this?

Want to read more about the reno and design ideas - GeorgyGdesign.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. I think you are very brave staying in the house whilst the reno is happening! My suggestion is for the 4 year old to keep a picture journal. You can help write the captions on it. She can draw in it, add photos and (with mum's help) write about her feelings. Did the builders make a noise? Did they clean up? Did they do a great job? Did she feel happy, sad, frustrated that day? How did the rest of the family feel? How did they make it a good day and laugh, love etc. Did the dolls and her brother join in? It will become a very special remembrance of a very significant time in all your lives. All the best.

    ReplyDelete