Thursday, June 10, 2010

The hidden cook - Georgy:)

Well back online after a short break - it has been a difficult couple of weeks with us finding out that our little boy has a number of food and other allergies. On top of this he has been almost continually sick with one virus after another, which has meant asthma and sleep problems.

We seem to finally be getting on top of it now though with on our doctors recommendation taking him out of childcare. We are trying to break the cycle of illness by keeping him out of childcare for at least a month. Just on this I was reading the other day that toddlers tend to get sick a lot and if they are in childcare this can increase by 30%. It seems our boy falls into this category.

Anyway on the positive side I am getting to spend quality time with my little boy now having been home from work for almost two weeks and I have also discovered my hidden cook.

I have never been that into cooking with my husband doing the majority but with the discovery of my little boys allergies to egg, nuts, tomato and sesame seeds to name the top four (he can't have these until he is re-tested in 18 months), on top of which he can not have other things such as yeast (there goes the Vegemite), many preservatives and additives (means no cheese, flavoured yogurt), limited fruit and only certain veges for a month - this has resulted in me trying to come up with fresh things he will eat and actually having to cook from scratch!

I have discovered a couple of winners thus far like pasta with oven cooked chicken thighs, roast pumpkin, onion and of course olive oil (at least he can have that as I love to cook with it).

1 comment:

  1. Hi Georgy - bummer about the allergies, but there is hope that he will grow out of them in time. Enjoy some time away from work ;o) Nic

    ReplyDelete