Thursday, March 4, 2010

Are mum’s now expected to be cool and hip at the school gate too? Beck:)

As a mum who is about to re-enter the workforce full-time (am I crazy…in a word- Yes!) you could imagine my horror when watching a morning television show - [http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-au&vid=17c35350-c0d7-4460-9b11-c9b2e440cdee] to see mum’s employing a $150 hour stylist to choose their outfits for the school run – What the??? So now not only am I going to be juggling a full time teaching job, part-time study, two children and a husband, I also have to look like a fashion goddess when I drop my daughter off at Kinder? In the words of the stylist (I am paraphrasing here) – if you don’t look good you may get excluded by the other yummy mummys. My first thought “is this woman for real?” If someone is going to judge me by what I wear then sorry sweetie I don’t want you as my ‘friend’. I love nothing more than being decked head to toe in Target clothing with my Burberry bag (yes its real – I have an issue with fakes) on my arm and having women say ‘love your outfit’ – just goes to show price doesn’t = style!

Then I got to thinking this morning while stuck in the ‘carpark’ that is otherwise known as Blackburn Road, Syndal…..if a person who dares to wear a tracksuit to the school run is called a ‘slummy mummy’….What do you call a mummy in her Juicy Couture tracksuit? A Slum Lord Mummy???

So I thought I would check out the other mummys at my daughter’s school (her kinder is part of the junior school) and I was pleased to see that jeans and a top were the clothing de jeur (this is at a private school in Eastern Melbourne). Then I thought maybe it must be a ‘Sydney thing’ because it appeared that these Eastern Suburban Melbourne Mummys didn’t require the services of a $150 hour stylist to be able to included by the other mummys…or maybe Melbourne Mummys are just naturally stylish? After all you can’t go wrong when you are wearing black head to toe!

No comments:

Post a Comment