Thursday, April 29, 2010

What Gives? - Georgy:)

What gives - that is what I have been asking myself a bit recently. In this whole balancing thing it is hard enough to keep a good balance with quality children or family time, three days intense work focus and just the day to day running of the household, that when you throw much more on top of that or something like illness throws you out of wack it can suddenly feel like there are way too many juggling balls and they are starting to drop.

I have learnt talking to friends that everyone's focus on what is important in the whole juggle is different and so what gives and in what order varies but I have found that in most instances the first thing to go is 'me time'. We do often put ourselves last. Maybe ok for a while when push comes to shove but not for too long as then other things start to drop as a result. In my case it is often my health. So with this in mind on the weekend I took brief time out of a sick household to go shopping and bought some fabulous boots. I also managed a 30 minute bubble bath, well almost as near the end my two children came in to drop toys in the bath and just stare at me.

So what gave in my house on the weekend, general housework. A hard one for me as I like a tidy, clean home and so this is normally one of the last things to give, but seriously we were all too exhausted. In this state, finally self survival kicked in and I remembered what a doctor once said to me, 'you should try to have 30 minutes to yourself a day (I know not easy). If you don't look after yourself how can you look after others?'

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post, and I agree that it applies to everyone, not just parents. I hope you get some 'me time' this weekend!

    ReplyDelete